We are pleased to announce that all courses will now have the ability to download video lectures to mobile devices for offline viewing using the Panopto app. This feature will enable you to download lectures for any course(s) you are actively enrolled in to your device and view them at a later time without needing to use your mobile data. Whether you would like to keep up with your lectures while traveling, you often find yourself in places with unstable internet access, or you want to re-listen to a lecture while commuting, we are certain the ability to download lectures will provide greater flexibility to fit your lifestyle!
Features and uses of Panopto:
- Downloadable lectures
- Searchable lecture content
- Listening on the go
A few introductory notes:
- The current way of viewing lectures will not change. The Canvas platform will continue to stream lectures in your course pages.
- This supplementary option to download lectures to mobile devices will require a new app, Panopto, available for free on your mobile device app store (instructions below).
- By utilizing the download capability, you will need to monitor the storage availability of your device and plan accordingly.
- At this time, this feature will only be available for theology courses. Most CCEF courses are supplemented by downloadable audio files.
- On your mobile device, search for the app “Panopto” on your app store and download.
*Note: this Android screenshot is from a Google Pixel running Android 8.1.0. Your Android device and navigation may look different.
- When you first open the app, it should open to a screen with “All sessions” at the top. On Android, the “sign in” option will be at the top of the screen. For iOS, tap the upper left icon which will bring up a menu.
- Select “Sign in.”
- The sign in address is “wts.hosted.panopto.com” then select “Sign in.”
- The sign in option should be automatically set to “Canvas.” If not, choose “Canvas” from the list.
- When you select “sign in” you will come to the same log in screen you see when signing into Canvas. Input your Populi user name and password.
- Check the box to save this authorization and select “Authorize” to allow Panopto to connect to your Canvas account.
- After completing the login process, the default screen will return to the “All sessions” page which will now show the recent files that have been added to your account.
- On iOS, by selecting the icon in the upper left, a menu will appear. On that menu, select the “Browse” option to see the folder of video lectures for each course in which you are currently enrolled.
- b. On Android, the app natively brings up the “All sessions” view. The best way to navigate is to search for the lecture you wish to view.(The ability to browse folders is coming to Android and will be an update to the app in the near future.)
A review of features and uses of Panopto:
- Downloading lectures: this feature is the primary reason for using Panopto. To download, simply select the icon on the right of the app (iOS has a downward arrow in a circle, Android has a downward arrow with a line underneath).
- Searching lectures: Panopto uses machine learning to approximate spoken text with surprising accuracy. To test this, search for a common phrase using the main search feature (use a word like “covenant” or “Reformed” and see what happens). This may be a useful feature when reviewing your course.
- Listening on the go: In addition to downloading the lectures to watch while without internet, these mobile apps support background audio which will enable you to listen in the car or in any other use where viewing the video isn’t possible but is ideal for audio only. Simply start the lecture and turn off the display of your mobile device. The audio should continue uninterrupted.
*If you have questions, feel free to email our team, firstname.lastname@example.org. This feature is still in development so expect that there may be a few issues to iron out as we develop the app!